Re: Emacs psychiatrist

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs psychiatrist
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:42:21 +1100

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien Guerry wrote:

>>> The fact that a doctor just prescribes some drugs doesn't prove he
>>> is not also a psychoanalyst.
>>
>> No, but maybe that he is not also a good psychoanalysts.
>
> Psychoanalysis is a pseudoscience anyway.

Psychoanalysis is not even a pseudo science - no scientific methodology
was applied. Psychoanalysis is another name for Freud's theories and
analysis/treatment 'techniques'.  These days, it has pretty much fallen
out of favor.

Issues of ethics and human experimentation make it very difficult for
psychology to apply the same types of experimental rigor that most
associate with science, but generally it does try to apply the
principals of scientific rigor to experimental research. Things are
complicated by the fact we still don't really know what concepts like
'mind' 'intelligence' 'emotion' etc really means and as we can't really
define it in a universally acceptable way, we can't look at it, measure
it, poke it or dissect it. To a large part, psychology is really
statistics - its a best guess based on the collection of large amounts
of data obtained via surveys, subjective observations and other data
sources that are pushed through some statistical model which identifies
some correlation. Frequent points of debate/arguement amongst
psychologists tend to be based on statistical analysis and
interpretation or application of statistical models rather than
arguements regarding the underlying theory. This isn't to say there is
just one theory or there aren't competing theories - just that this
isn't where the debates tend to focus. Different schools of theory tend
to just discount those schools they don't agree with, but within their
school of choice, they tend to spend large amounts of time arguing about
the statistics rather than the underlying theoretical constructs.

Psychiatrists tend to be people with a medical degree who have also
studied psychology. As they have a medical degree, they are able to
prescribe drugs. Psychologists tend not to have a medical degree and
therefore cannot prescribe drugs.  As mentioned by someone else,
psychiatrists may not actually have much training in
psychology. Normally, you can become a psychologist by completing an
undergraduate degree, but to practice as a clinical psychologist
(i.e. be able to have and treat patients), you need to do some post
graduate studies.

To be a psychoanalyst you have to speak with a thick Austrian accent,
look a bit like Einstein after a bad night and be obsessed with sexual
disfunction that all stems from a desire to have sex with your
mother/father. All problems stem from feelings of guilt and jealousy
rgarding either your father's relationship/access to your mother or your
mother's access/relationship to your father.
Lying on a couch and talking about it provides lots of vicarious sexual
pleasure for the therapist. One of Freud's treatment techniques,
particularly for many of the women he use to see, was a nice relaxing
genital massage, which apparently was quite popular with the sexually
repressed women around in the late 1800s.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au