Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:13:49 +0100

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members
>
> in my ~/.emacs I set:
>
> (setq password-cache-expiry nil)
>
> I visit remote folder with:
> /scp:root@10.102.12.89:/etc
>
> then emacs asks for password.
>
> Since then everytime, when I visit remote directories I do not have to
> reenter password, but when I try to visit any remote regular file, it ALWAYS
> asks me for password.
>
> Also from "TRAMP version 2.0.55 User Manual" info manual I can read:
>
>    Implementation Note: password caching is based on the package
> password.el in No Gnus.  For the time being, it is activated only when
> this package is seen in the `load-path' while loading TRAMP.  It will
> be activated mandatory once No Gnus has found its way into GNU Emacs.
>

> but I do not have password.el* file in my system.
>
> C-h v gnus-version:
> gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> Its value is "Gnus v5.11"
>
> Both gnus and tramp packages used by me are ones provided with emacs 22.
>
> Did You experience such problems?
>
> regards,
> Michal

password.el is included in my version of tramp(2.1.12)
May be you should consider upgrading.
your version, the one given with emacs 22 is also very slow.
Outside of tramp, you can configure your ssh with keys and
ssh-agent/ssh-add, like that you have to enter your password
only one time at beginning of your session.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu