Re: gnuserv - emacs problem (23.0.60.1)

From: M G Berberich
Subject: Re: gnuserv - emacs problem (23.0.60.1)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:39:29 +0100

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:41:51 +0100, Thorsten Bonow
<thorsten.bonow@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>    M> Hello, I have GNU Emacs and running gnuserv constantly in an iconified
>    M> frame (linux, X11), editing files with gnuclient. This worked fine until
>    M> I updated emacs to 23.0.60.1. Now I have the problem that the emacs
>    M> (running the gnuserv) terminates after I finish editing (the last) file
>    M> with “C-x #”. No error-message, no coredump it seems to be a clean
>    M> exit.
>
>    M> Is there a way to make emacs stay until explicitly exited?
>
> I haven't tested it and it is possible that it is not working for
> you because 23.0.61 is a development version.

I was running a dev-version before (2007-05-17) and it worked fine
(main reason for it was UTF-8 support and anti-aliased fonts).

> But in any case: GNU Emacs comes with it's own emacsclient and
> server which has long ago added all (and more) of the
> gnuclient/server features. So you should give it a try (Add
> "(server-start)" to your init file, it's all in the manual),
> especially if you try to live on the bleeding edge with 23.0.61 ;-)

I can make it open a new frame (Window) by setting “server-window” to
“switch-to-buffer-other-frame”, but then “C-x #” leaves a window on the
desktop behind, containing “*scratch*” or whatever.

        MfG
        bmg

--
Artikel 3 und 12a des Grundgesetzes  kurz  | M G Berberich
zusammengefaßt: Männer  und  Frauen  sind  | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de