Re: Can priority of interpreter-mode-alist over auto-mode-alist be chang

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Can priority of interpreter-mode-alist over auto-mode-alist be changed?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:22:33 -0400

Will Parsons <wbp@nodomain.invalid> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:

>>> Why can't you use
>>>
>>>     #!/bin/tclsh
>>>
>>> directly?
>>
>> In some cases, because the script has to be run on multiple machines
>> that have different paths to tclsh.
>
>> I've used "Local Variables" sections to solve that in the past.
>> I wouldn't be surprised if there is a better way these days.
>
> This seems to be a regression with Emacs 22.  I, too, have tcl scripts
> which begin with the common Tcl idiom cited by the OP, and they are
> correctly recognized as tcl mode in Emacs 21 but shell mode in Emacs 22.
>
> So, I'd like to join the OP in asking how to get the original behaviour
> back?

Three minutes of investigation led me to think that you're looking for
the variable "magic-mode-alist".

I think that what's happening is that your scripts end in ".tcl" and
the way it used to work was that auto-mode-alist used tcl-mode because
of the filename.  [If the scripts don't end in .tcl, I don't see how
it ever worked without a hint inside the file.]  Now something is
overriding auto-mode-alist, and it might be the "magic" mode-guessing.

There are other possibilities, but the ones I thought to check don't
seem to have changed lately.  [e.g., interpeter-mode-alist]