Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: how to find out where a variable is changed?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:17:00 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.8136.1204386400.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>Am 01.03.2008 um 16:35 schrieb sunway:
>
>> the variable is changed outside, but where is it changed?
>
>~/.emacs, your personal init file? Don't you see the hyper-link to
>the customise interface?

What hyper-link -- in one's .emacs?

For me, at least, it's a new concept -- a hyper-link in a .emacs?

I really don't understand what you (two) are talking about   :-(

-------

Separately, and a real pain for me, I've never understood just how
to use customize.   (Edit options, yes, from way, way, back -- but
not this "newfangled" customize thing.)

I guess the main problem for me is that it's windows-like, in that
you've got to traversing down in a tree, easy enough if you
already know what's where in the tree.

But without that knowledge, I'm just stuck there at the top,
having no idea where to go down to.

Like windows, you see in some book instructions to

    "foo" -->  "parties" --> "drinks" ---> ...

What a pain having to have pretty-much memorized what's where.

I always thought unix stuff was more flat than windows,
eg large (well, HUGE) numbers of commands under a /bin,
like sec (1) man-pages, enormous, and all flat.

Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
maybe I could get some hints from you guys?

Thanks!

David