Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:13:15 +0200

"Mathias Dahl" <mathias.dahl@gmail.com> writes:

> Neat feature however. I don't understand how it can work, how can
> Tramp affect Eshell and who I am when running a certain program? Is
> there code in Eshell for this?

See eshell-external-command (in esh-ext.el). Eshell checks for a file
name handler of shell-command, depending on default-directory. If it
is found, that file name handler is called - tramp-handle-shell-command
in this case.

Your identity is always the one of default-directory. Btw, it works
also when you jump to a real remote host like "/ssh:user@host:".

The commands id and hostname might help you when you are lost. And
there is also the prompt, which shows default-directory by default.

Best regards, Michael.