Re: Trouble in installing emacs-22.1

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: Trouble in installing emacs-22.1
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:46:55 -0500

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:37:12 -0700, mreshmi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install emacs-22.1 on my home machine. I have already
> finished the following steps without any errors:
>
> 1     ./configure
> 2     make
> 3     src/emacs -q
>
> But when I try to install the make file, then the following error is
> coming up. It says that is it unable to create directory "/usr/local/
> share/emacs".
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Reshmi Mitra

Hmm, I answered in the first ng I found this in, but in case I'm right,
it might be helpful to have this for posterity:

"make install" for various packages fails when it tries to make
subdirectories of a nonexistent directory. Specifically, if /usr/local
doesn't have much in it yet: and has no share subdirectory, then the make
install will fail.

Just do, say, "sudo mkdir /usr/local/share" and everything should be rosy.

Rupert