RE: Hangups in latest version of Icicles

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Hangups in latest version of Icicles
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:22:56 -0700

> Updated my Icicles yesterday. All minibuffer-interactions with
> directories no hangs infinitely making it impossible to interact with
> them.
>
> Whats wrong? Have I missed to update any dependencies of Icicles? I am
> daily following the EmacsWiki changes related to Drew Adams and I
> don't think I have missed any of them.

Hi Nordlow,

I see no hang, myself. Please file a bug: `M-x icicle-send-bug-report'. Detail
the problem and the steps to reproduce it, starting with emacs -Q, and
mentioning your Emacs version and platform. Describe what happens for local and
remote directories, if the behavior differs.

> The problem, annoyingly, only occurs as a combination of my add-ons
> and Icicles but not separately.
>
> The problem only occurs when I load programming files using
> desktop.el, but not when I start my Emacs without any desktop.el-
> buffers and then open them by hand.

You will need to try to track this down starting with emacs -Q. It might be
something that is saved in your desktop file - perhaps something regarding an
older version of Icicles? You might also try editing your desktop file to purge
any Icicles-related info it might have saved. I'm not familiar with desktop,
myself, but together we can find the problem.

> The hangup is fortunately interruptable by C-g. After having
> pressed C-g once I don't get the error anymore. I tried paste
> the error message context into this window but google groups
> don't allow unknown binary bytecodes. Should I strip it from
> the binary characters and send it anyway?

Yes, please send as much info as you can. You can send it to me directly (off
list).

On 3/30 I changed file-name reading in Emacs 22+, to take advantage of the new
Emacs variable `read-file-name-function', instead of redefining `read-file-name'
within Icicle mode. I'm guessing that that change might be related to your
problem, but I will need more detailed info to figure this out.

This change is, ironically, to help Icicles play better with other libraries
that also redefine or advise `read-file-name', so it's important to find and fix
the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your help.