Re: make ctrl+v (page-down) move even when near the end of document

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: make ctrl+v (page-down) move even when near the end of document
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:57:34 +0200

B. T. Raven wrote:
Pavol Murin wrote:
hello fellow emacs users,
 I would like to make ctrl+v like page-down (and page-up) do in other
applications when near the beginning or end of the document. This
means that when the point cannot move by a full page, it moves to the
first or last position in the document. I can program it in elisp, but
there might be a simpler solution (maybe a different function to
bind)?

 thanks, muro

The pertinent code that would have to be hacked is in window.c and the only other candidate I see is the variable next-screen-context-lines, also in window.c Maybe if you can make a good case for the usefulness of this behavior, someone will change the code for you. Out of curiosity, why do you care if the cursor is exactly at top or bottom of buffer as long as you can see the text there. Immediately after the last M-v or C-v you can M-< or M-> if you need extreme cursor movement.

cua-mode has the code for this. It is however bound to PgUp/Down.