Re: Windows Emacs doesn't understand UNIX symbolic link?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows Emacs doesn't understand UNIX symbolic link?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:12:34 +0300

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 00:12:39 +0200
>

> Am 02.04.2008 um 19:54 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
> >> Why should that make a difference? Although TRAMP sees on the remote
> >> UNIX host a sym-link it can present to MS Losedos nothing but some
> >> kind of file.
> >
> > And what does Tramp present to Emacs on a Unix system? isn't that
> > ``some kind of file'' as well?
>

> A file with the character of a sym-link – and UNIX can handle that.

For remote files, Tramp handles that, not the local OS.  If the remote
file is a symlink, I'd expect Tramp to resolve it and bring to Emacs
the contents of the target of the link.

> On a system that can't distinguish a file from a sym-link

For a remote file, it's Tramp that needs to distinguish between them.
The file-symlink-p primitive should hand the file name to Tramp, for
that to happen, as it probably does on Unix.

> A system able to handle sym-links won't send such requests to TRAMP,
> so TRAMP won't do the nonsense described.

Are you sure that Tramp does such nonsense on Unix?