Re: tramp and ssh-agent / ssh-add

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: tramp and ssh-agent / ssh-add
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:38:08 +1100

Roland Winkler <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>> D'accord. But Roland has the use case to run Emacs on a remote
>> host. He even doesn't start ssh-agent there, which would do the
>> job.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. Typically, I do something like
>
> ssh -t winkler@foo.org ssh-agent emacs
>
> So my remote session is only emacs under an ssh-agent. I would like
> to be able to run ssh-add from within the remote emacs iff ssh-add
> is needed because I want to establish a connection to yet some other
> host(s). (Of course, locally I am using shh-agent and ssh-add, too.
> Yet that helps me only for the ssh connections that I do starting
> from localhost.)

Why do you ssh to the remote box and run emacs? There are good reasons
to do this, but with things like tramp, its not necessary in many
cases.

While I don't need to do it now, I use to run emacs locally and use
tramp to do a multi-hop connection and edit files on a system at work
that was behind a firewall that could be accessed only from my work
desktop, which I could access via ssh.

This was over a 56k modem and it worked just fine. Now I have DSL, but I
still run things locally and use tramp to access files remotely. I also
use sshfs a bit, which is very useful.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au