Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client

From: Timothy Hobbs
Subject: Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:37:09 -0700

I use gnus as well, in congruence with BBDB and planner-mode.  It works well,
though there are a lot of things I don't understand.  It is not an emacs like
program in that instead of having a quick clean api and front end, it has a
huge, power full, complex tangle, with it's own specialized extension
mechanisms.  This I typically think is a bad thing.  But no one has gotten
around to really replacing it.  I have managed to change the key bindings and
mess up the window lay out to the point where it was deemed acceptable by me, so
therefore it can't be too bad, right?

One thing, it is the one part of emacs that really requires you to restart after
making significant config changes.  You can save yourself lots of time by
reading the docs really well before setting up anything, because it's kind of a
monster about creating lots and lots of dot files, and not liking to be *re*
configured.

Good luck
Timothy Hobbs