Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Soliciting Recommendations for a Mail Client
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:00:04 +0200

   Hopefully I won't start a flame war...

   I've been using mutt for a bit over 10 years now, but I'm feeling the
   irresistible pull to deeper integrate my life with Emacs.

Dunno for the other people but I like very much rmail. It is
pretty basic and does not come with fancy features but it is easy
to use, is bundled with emacs.

The only big cons is that it just does not play well with MIME
(though I do not care since I do not like to attach anything but
inlined content to a mail. I do not like to receive attachment by
mail just patches or things similar.)

Rmail has a brother: VM. VM overloads rmail in many ways
including MIME support. It's worth trying it if you feel rmail is
too austere for you.

Another popular MUA is probably Gnus which can deal with
everything POP/IMAP/NNTP and various other things (slashdot, rss,
...). Though it is very powerful (I used it for several years) I
switched to a more "basic" MUA (rmail) since I did not need all
features bundled with Gnus.

Hope that'll help.

        Xavier
--