Re: Remote .emacs

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Remote .emacs
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:27:10 -0700

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 23:45:25 +0100
"Paulo J. Matos" <pocm@soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have several PCs I work regularly and where I regularly use emacs.
> Each time I update one .emacs, I have to update the others so that all
> are in sync.
>
> I wonder if there's already some code to:
> - Load a remote .emacs from the net.  If there's no remote access then
> use the previous cached one. Otherwise load the one from the net and
> cache it.
> - I don't know much about emacs lisp but if there are ways through
> emacs lisp to get files from http or ftp or something, it shouldn't be
> hard to implement this as a library required by local .emacs and ran
> each time the local .emacs is executed.

I keep my emacs setup and personal programming tools in a SubVersion repository.
I can synchronize them with 'svn update'. The third party libraries the
configuration
relies upon is the real problem. I am now working with ELPA as a acceptable
solution
to managing dependencies for a user-specific configuration.