Re: How to unify notation for file accesses thru Samba?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How to unify notation for file accesses thru Samba?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:34:26 +0200

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> Is there a unified way to refer to SAMBA mounts?
>
> Currently, in my bookmarks list, I have "doubles" (one for Emacs
> under Windows, one for Emacs under Linux):
>
>   Users on RUSSELL from Windows  //LINUXSRV/Users/
>   Users on RUSSELL from Ubuntu   /smb:sva@LINUXSRV:/Users/
>
> Is there a way to unify both of them under one single notation?

You could use abbreviations, combined with your bookmarks. Something like

(add-to-list
 'directory-abbrev-alist
 (if (memq system-type '(cygwin windows-nt))
     '("^/russell" . "//LINUXSRV/Users/")
   '("^/russell" . "/smb:sva@LINUXSRV:/Users/")))

See <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions> for
discussion of further approaches.