Re: Octave Help Mode?

From: Christian Herenz
Subject: Re: Octave Help Mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:42:41 +0200

David Hansen schrieb:
[Cc: to emacs-devel]

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:10:17 +0200 Christian Herenz wrote:

I have a problem with Ocatve Mode. C-x C-h (or M-x octave-help) does
not work. It seems that octave-hlp.el cannot find the entrys, so no
symbol can be described. However, the variable octave-help-files is
set to "octave". Maybe this is a bug in my distribution?
I use openSUSE 10.2, and I get no error message, but as stated above I
cannot get help on anything.

It's working here but I use a developer version of emacs.  Is C-h S
working?

I am not at my computer at the moment, so I cannot test this. However, I noted yesterday, when browsing the GNU Octave Info File lots of Nodes which are shown in the index are actually not present. Is this right, or does openSUSE ship a wrong info file. Sorry, this tends to be more an octave question, but since I am using it inside Emacs, I ask here.

To the emacs-devels:

Is there any need for `ocatave-help' if `info-lookup-symbol' is doing
the same (as far as I can see)?

Mh, maybe octave-help, if working properly should just search the octave manual, so if there is an ambivalence between a octave 'symbol' and something which is actually not octave, wrong results could be retrived.

At another system running Debian (Sarge) I get the error message
"Info-find-node: Info file octave does not exist", but on the bash
"info octave" shows the info file. However, it is not shown in M-x
info (info-mode) inside emacs?

Maybe adjust INFO_PATH but that sounds like a Debilian bug.

Do you mean the shell-variable INFO_PATH, which I would export in my .profile (or simialar), or do you mean something emacs-specific? As stated above, just entering "info octave" in a normal terminal works fine.

The thing is, I really want to work with octave, and I just think it is good to look something up directly inside the environment I am doing my octave stuff (i.e. emacs), however since I am fan of printed works I ordered via my libary today the "GNU Octave Manual" by J.W. Eaton (Network Theory Ltd.). Since it is not present in my home-libary I have to wait a little bit (cause its inter-libary loan), but I will fill out some forms today, that more "official" printed GNU Documentation will be available in our libary soon. At present, there is actually none :(

Greets,
Christian