Re: Octave Help Mode?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Octave Help Mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:37:50 +0200

Richard G Riley wrote:
Christian Herenz <herenz@physik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

David Hansen schrieb:

I would contact the sysadmin at our university, but it seems that they
are playing a little bit the devils-advocate by promoting heavily
Matlab (they won't give me full points, cause I solve my exercises in
octave-code rather than with matlab (even pointing out the
differences)... really pi**** about this atm, but this NEEDS to be
discussed somewhere else (hints?))
If you don't have fascist disc quota:

./configure --prefix=$HOME && make && make install

David

That is a nice idea, but would not solve my problem that I was
actually forced to hand in the results with matlab, otherwise I was
told today by a professor my results would not be accepted. But I am
working on this issue right now, cause my course is called
"Computational Physics" not "Computational Physics with Matlab".

Greets,
Christian

Why on earth do you feel that your Professor should master every
application out there that a student might feel is his right to use? Did
it cross your mind that he does not have the skill in Octave that you
have?

Christian, I agree with Richard. Most professors I have seen are human beeing with adequate limitations in their capabilities.

But you do not have to give up on using Octave for that. Can't you for example talk to your fellow students to see if you as a group can ask the institution about the possibility to use Octave instead of Mathlab? Then some professor might get time to learn Octave enough.

To convince them you might have to learn some Matchlab and Scilab too ... ;-)