Re: change in fill-paragraph

From: ken
Subject: Re: change in fill-paragraph
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:30:24 -0400

On 04/22/2008 02:57 AM ken wrote:
On 04/20/2008 01:32 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
ken wrote:
On 04/19/2008 09:24 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
ken wrote:

With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line which begins with a space. However, the newer emacs version I use at work will. That is,

(1) In the older versions, this will be
one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
fine.  I like it this way.
 (2) In the older versions, having just a
single space at the beginning
of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
separate paragraph.
 (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
would constitute one paragraph and so be
filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
stay where they are.

How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?

Thanks much.

You can get this with

"(paragraph-indent-text-mode)

Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
`paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."

Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html. It may well happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure, because I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.

In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back to what it was previously for all modes. If paragraph-indent-minor-mode will do this, what would I need to put in ~/.emacs to invoke it for any file I might open and not have "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show up in the mode line? (My mode line already is already occupied with all it can accomodate.)

I just typed M-x paragraph-indent-minor-mode in a text-mode buffer and it didn't change anything on the mode line. Then I did unfill paragraph on some indented and unindented random strings with no blank lines and they were treated as indented paragraphs. Then M-x text-mode turns off this minor mode.

Again, thanks for your help.

I don't have any experience with these modes; they are new to me too and I just looked them up in the docs. I am happy with a blank line as paragraph separator and I don't see any need for the old conventions for paragraph-start and paragraph-separate. Maybe tweaking these two variables would give you what you want. Why do you want it anyway, may I ask? If it's for publication, you would want to run the file through a page layout program (TeX, Auctex) which will lose the blank lines, indent new paragraphs, and a whole lot more.

Thanks. Those two variables may provide the answer. I checked the values in the older version and they are different. Perhaps just copying those into the new version will fix things. Hopefully I won't have to play too much with the regexps. There isn't a lot of time for that on the job.

And it worked... that is, putting in the values from my older version of emacs. Now there's another change to roll back....

When I'm typing a line and get to the far right and the text wraps to the next line, the new version inserts a space into the first column on that next line.

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.