Re: How to get rid of annoying ^M lineendings

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: How to get rid of annoying ^M lineendings
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:39:24 +0200

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> olgo wrote:
>> I keep reading solutions to this problem by means of substituting the
>> line endings with a global replace but this is not what I need.
>> I need for the files to be kept as they are, with all kinds of line
>> endings, but I don't want to see it in the editor.
>>
>> Thus, my question is:
>> Is there a way to tell emacs not to show the ^M character altogether?
>
> IME this is only a problem when line endings in a file are not consistent.
> so my advice would be to make sure each file only has one kind of line
> ending, then emacs will simply detect the format correctly and will tell
> you in the mode line you're editing a DOS file, and won't show the ^M
> characters.

I use the following function to remove the trailing ^M from such files:

(defun xsteve-remove-control-M ()
  "Remove ^M at end of line in the whole buffer."
  (interactive)
  (save-match-data
    (save-excursion
      (let ((remove-count 0))
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (re-search-forward "
$" (point-max) t)
          (setq remove-count (+ remove-count 1))
          (replace-match "" nil nil))
        (message (format "%d ^M removed from buffer." remove-count))))))

Stefan.