Re: init file help

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: init file help
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:46:27 +0200

DeSoya wrote:
It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
option through windows? I'm not using the command line since my cygwin
install doesn't seem to like the tar.gz file that I tried to use
before giving up and getting the windows .zip.

Just start Emacs with

  emacs -Q

(note the uppercase Q). Then in Emacs do

  C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el

to try to open the file. Or you can do

  M-: (file-truename "~/.emacs.d/init.el")

to see where it is.