Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode

From: harven
Subject: Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 13:28:50 -0700 (PDT)

On May 1, 5:58 pm, Steinar Bang <s...@dod.no> wrote:
> > Why didn't you upgrade to 22.2?
>
> Because 22.1 is the one Ubuntu Hardy comes with.
>
> > The NEWS file suggests to use input methods instead:
> > ,----[ NEWS | <f1> N ]
> >> *** iso-acc.el is now obsolete.  Use one of the latin input methods
> >> instead.
> > `----
>
> Ok, thanx.  I'll have to figure out what a "latin input method" is, I
> guess... one of these days, RSN...:-)

Put in your .emacs
(setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
if you want to enter accents with prefix notation  e.g. 'e  for
accented e. Type C-\ to activate/desactivate the input method when you
are in a buffer.

Or better, specify some language environment in your .emacs e.g.
(set-language-environment 'Swedish)
The input method will be set accordingly.
Type  M-x describe-language-environment RET SPC
to get a list of all language environments available on your system.
Norway doesn't seem to be available on my system though.