Emacs fonts and unicode

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Emacs fonts and unicode
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 18:10:15 +0100

Hello all,

I grabbed emacs-cvs from gentoo package system portage. Current
version is then:
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)

I am trying to view a couple unicode characters and have smooth characters.
I have tried with Shift-leftmousebutton several configurations but all
have something wrong. They don't look nice or they don't display the
unicode characters. I want both.
I have took a couple of screenshots:
Misc Fixed: http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pocm06r/emacs-misc-fixed.png
Fontset startup 10dotmedium:
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pocm06r/emacs-fontset-startup-10dotmedium.png
Fontset standard 16dotmedium:
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pocm06r/emacs-fontset-standard16dotmedium.png

The first is ok but doesn't display unicode (see the boxes)?
The second is terrible but displays unicode.
The third is perfect (except letters are probably too big) but no unicode.

How can I have the best of both worlds?

Cheers,

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm
PhD Student @ ECS
University of Southampton, UK
Sponsor ECS runners - Action against Hunger:
http://www.justgiving.com/ecsrunslikethewind