AUCTeX and Tramp

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: AUCTeX and Tramp
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 16:18:25 +0200

When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
following output:

--------8<---------
Running `LaTeX' on `dwds' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input"
dwds.tex''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang,
nohyphenation, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german,
ngerman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, finnish,
french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua,
ibycus, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish,
portuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian,
swedish, turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
! I can't find file `dwds.tex'.
<*> \input dwds.tex

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> \input dwds.tex

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Mon May  5 15:19:25

There's no problem running LaTeX on the same file under AUCTeX locally
on either machine, and there's no problem running LaTeX on the same file
via Tramp under the standard Emacs LaTeX-mode.  It's only the
combination Tramp+AUCTeX that fails.  I'd be grateful for any help
resolving this.

This is with GNU Emacs 23.0.60.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.0) of 2008-05-05 on escher

Steve Berman