Speedbar - expand file list, but not open them?

From: John McCabe
Subject: Speedbar - expand file list, but not open them?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 11:37:01 +0100

Hi

I'm sorry if this has been asked before; I searched with Google, but
the search terms match so much vague stuff...

Anyway, I've only just realised Speedbar can be of use to me (!), but
what I would like to be able to do is to expand all the subtrees of a
folder tree but without going to the extent of opening all the "leafs"
(for want of a better term) and finding out what's inside them (i.e.
the content of the files). As far as I can see, the "Expand all
descendants" goes to the extent of examining the file contents and
this take ages on some of the directories I have.

Does anyone have code available that will do what I want? I've looked
at the speedbar.el code but it's been a while since I really used
Emacs Lisp so some of it isn't that clear to me.

Thanks for any help.

John