Howto: Using Mouse as modifier

From: gegendosenfleisch
Subject: Howto: Using Mouse as modifier
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Basic Question: How can I use my mouse buttons as C-/M- Keys?

If you are interested, please read on...

Hi!

I am quite new to emacs (just a few months). On my thinkpad, which is
my
main computer by now, the mouse buttons are conveniently located under
my
thumbs. So I wanted to use them in combination with keys to act like
Control
(Button 1 and 3) and Meta (2) keys.

I tried several things and asked in several places for advice.
Nothing really worked.

- Using xbindkeys: Converting every single combination.
- Using gpm: Does not seem to provide the needed functionality.
- Using emacs:  (global-set-key [mouse-2] '...)

The xbindkeys way nearly worked: It would do the first command in each
session, but subsequently not work anymore ;(.

Best would be a way that does X and CLI, but I would restrain myself
to one environment if this would work.
As I am not so fond of the mouse (I hardly use it anymore, thanks to
emacs ;),
I do not mind to lose copy/paste actions or the other stuff nowadays
attached
to the mouse by emacs standardconfiguration.

Any hints/links would be very much appreciated.

So all paths leaded to nowhere and I am resorting to the medium most
geeky for
advice, a scary medium I usually prefer to read only: The mighty
Usenet.

Please do not rip my head off :)

TIA

- Memnon Anon (not a native speaker, as you will have guessed)