Re: UTF-8 character question

From: horatio
Subject: Re: UTF-8 character question
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 01:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

On May 12, 12:51 am, hora...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 12, 12:14 am, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
>

> > + hora...@gmail.com:
>
> > > I downloaded Emacs 22.2.1 for Windows, and I was pleased to find that
> > > Chinese characters work "out of the box" on my computer.  However, I
> > > have a weird visualization problem for some characters.  One example
> > > is 你你.  These two characters appear the same in Firefox, in Notepad,
> > > in the file system (ie Explorer), and in various other places.
> > > However, in Emacs, the character on the left appears as an empty
> > > square, but the character on the right shows up as the Chinese
> > > character for "you".
>
> > I am confused. They not only /look/ the same, they /are/ the same
> > character (U+4F60). Maybe your news posting software knows what emacs
> > doesn't, and has changed one of those so they are equal?
>
> > I'm afraid you will have to describe the difference between the two
> > characters somehow.
>
> I used Firefox to post, and yes, it replaced one of the characters for
> me.  I don't know how to figure out what the encoding is for the
> character Emacs is correctly displaying, but the character U+4F60 does
> not display correctly in my version of Emacs.  Instead, it shows up as
> the empty square.  There's another version of the same character that
> does show up correctly in Emacs, but unfortunately it's not the one
> used elsewhere.

Fascinating.  I just found something else out.  When I save the file,
and then reload it, the character that was successfully displayed
earlier is now displayed as an empty box.  Maybe there is only one 你
character, and sometimes Emacs can show it, and sometimes it can't.

Furthermore, when I use Options->Mule->List Character Sets, some of
the supported character sets are entirely empty boxes.  The strange
thing about that is there are definitely some characters that it shows
fine, with none of these issues.  It's pretty strange that for some
characters, it can show the Chinese characters, and for others it
can't.

My guess is there's some basic option or package that I'm missing that
will make the problem go away.  Can you (or anyone else) copy and
paste that character into an Emacs buffer?  If it works, can you think
of anything in your setup that I might not have done?  I'll take a
look myself in the meantime.

Thanks for the help.