Re: AucTeX, LaTeX and TEXINPUTS

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: AucTeX, LaTeX and TEXINPUTS
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:32:25 +0100

aspfjm@gmail.com writes:

> hi,
>
> i'm a newbie at emacs/auctex/latex/linux.i use ubuntu 8.04, emacs
> 22.1.1, auctex 11.84 and texlive 2007.
>
> this is the test package (placed in ~/latexpackages/test.sty):
>  \newcommand{\hello}{hello world}
>
> this is the tex file (placed in ~/hello.tex):
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{test}
> \begin{document}
> \hello
> \end{document}
>
> i put my locally installed LaTeX packages in ~/latexpackages, but i
> can't compile tex files from emacs. i have no problems when i use bash
> (latex hello.tex -> "[...] Output written on hello.dvi (1 page, 232
> bytes)." and "echo $TEXINPUTS" outputs /home/anders/latexpackages).
>
> i think the problem is located within emacs or auctex, but i have no
> idea how to fix this.
>
> any help appreciated, thanks.

I haven't tried this, but it might be about environment
variables. Running LaTeX from a shell, your shell will have already
parsed stuff like your .bashrc and set various env variables, such as
$TEXINPUTS.

Maybe you're invoking emacs from eg a menu icon? In which case those
won't get set, I don't think. A workaround might be to add a line like

(setenv "TEXINPUTS" "~/latexpackages")

To your .emacs

Rupert