Re: hang while marking large region

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: hang while marking large region
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:41:00 GMT

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> andrew.tao@gmail.com writes:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> i'm using 21.1.13 xemacs. when i set the mark and then scroll to a
>> distant area in a text file, xemacs hangs. we're talking about a few
>> megabytes of data being marked.
>
> Please distinguish between Emacs using an X display and the separate
> software project XEmacs.
>
>> it seems that xemacs must be trying to copy the marked region
>> somewhere and then hanging.
>>
>> any ideas for a workaround?
>
> Workaround: don't use XEmacs.
>
> This is a known problem.  I had this same problem and the solution was
> to switch.
>
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/04/xemacs-is-dead-long-live-xemacs.html

Never seen the XEmacs stability problem you describe.
I start XEmacs when I boot the machine and it stays up until I loose power.
When I started using XEmacs Lucid was still in business.

Here's the FAQ on the slowness:

http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/xemacs-faq_4.html#SEC152

I think it's a non-issue on recent releases.
I use the X version remotely every day and I don't have any of
those workarounds.

That said, switching to GNU Emacs is probably a good way to go.