Re: gnus font shortcuts

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: gnus font shortcuts
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:01:42 -0500

On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:28:00 GMT Myriam Abramson <mabramson@gmail.com> wrote:

MA> I know how to surround a word with "*" to make them *bold* in the email
MA> message. What do I do to make them appear italic?

MA> Is there a list of those shortcuts somewhere?

See the variable gnus-emphasis-alist, you can both see the defaults and
customize it to add new patterns to highlight.  Here's a sample of the
defaults (the actual Lisp form is more complicated, but this should show
it):

         '(("\\*" "\\*" bold nil 2)
           ("_" "_" underline)
           ("/" "/" italic)
           ("_/" "/_" underline-italic)
           ("_\\*" "\\*_" underline-bold)
           ("\\*/" "/\\*" bold-italic)
           ("_\\*/" "/\\*_" underline-bold-italic))

It's also important to note that only other Gnus users will see these
highlights.  Everyone else will just see the ASCII characters unless
their MUA supports the patterns too.

Ted