Tramp under Windoze: should "semicommercial" SSH2 work?

From: George McBane
Subject: Tramp under Windoze: should "semicommercial" SSH2 work?
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:16:17 -0400

I have Emacs under WinXP running (GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)) and would like to use TRAMP
in ssh mode.  I have two versions of ssh:
1) Cygwin OpenSSH (and I realize that one isn't supposed to work), and
2) the command-line SSH2 that comes with SSH Secure Shell version 3.2.9
from SSH Communications Security Corp.  This is the
free noncommercial version they used to distribute from their
website, and that is still available from several other sites.

From a normal Windows command shell I can use
ssh2 -l username machine.domain
and get a normal password prompt that succeeds and
gives me a shell prompt right away.

Should I be able to use the ssh2 program as an inline method in TRAMP?
The definition of tramp-methods indicates that there is a method ssh2_old that uses ssh2 as its connection program. So I put
in my .emacs
(setq tramp-default-method "ssh2_old")

But, when I try to edit a remote file, I don't succeed.
I do ^x^f /username@machine.domain:~/path/file
and get in the message line "tramp: waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell", which never succeeds or times out.

If someone can give me suggestions about how to set this up,
I'd appreciate it.  I see that the usual advice appears to be
"use PuTTY and the plink method", which I'll do if necessary,
but I'd rather not install yet another ssh application if I can
help it.

TIA,
George.