Re: Dired like functionality on a custom text file

From: harven
Subject: Re: Dired like functionality on a custom text file
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:44 -0700 (PDT)

On May 19, 8:38 pm, Jesse <jesse.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a situation where I have a lot of common files i need to edit
> but they are all in various directories spread across my hard drive.
> I was trying to come up with a way where I could make a text file that
> has all the paths to the files I commonly need and somehow open that
> file into a dired like mode.  Is there anyway I can do this, or even
> alternatively possibly easily pass the current line my cursor is on in
> that file to the mini buffer when I put in the visit command?

M-x find-name-dired prompts for the name of a directory
and a filename wildcard, and fetch in a Dired buffer all
files in the subdirectories matching the wildcard.

M-x find-grep-dired fetches files which contain strings matching a
regular expression, recursively starting from
a given directory.

Finally, dired-x is an extension to dired which provides a feature
called "Virtual Dired". This feature puts a buffer with Dired-like
contents in Dired mode. Have a look at the dired-x manual (C-h i m
dired-x), which comes with a basic emacs install. You need first to
enable dired-x with something like
 (add-hook 'dired-load-hook  (lambda ()
                 (load "dired-x")))