Setting file-local list variables

From: Mark Elston
Subject: Setting file-local list variables
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:30:02 -0500

(I sent this to the AucTeX mailing list as well but since this is
possibly more an Emacs issue I thought I would send it here as well.)

I have been trying to set a file local variable for a LaTeX file
I have been working on and it just doesn't seem to stick.  In
particular I am trying to set LaTeX-verbatim-environments.  I am
using the fancyvrb package and have developed some specific verbatim
environments and want AucTeX to deal with them appropriately.  These
environments are specific to the file I am working on and, so, I don't
want to customize AucTeX to *always* recognize them since they won't
appear in any other files.

However, when I put the following in my .tex file:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% LaTeX-verbatim-environments: ("verbatim" "verbatim*" "CodeListing"
"OldCodeListing" "NewCodeListing")
%%% End:

I get a warning when loading the file that setting the variable may
not be safe.  I hit 'y' to apply the local variables list and the file
is loaded.  However, even though I can look at the variable and see that
it is set appropriately, AucTeX doesn't handle these environments as
verbatim environments.

If I customize the variable then it works fine.

How do I set this variable so that it applies to the file?

Mark