Re: Changing background color of an emacs window

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Changing background color of an emacs window
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 23:36:42 +0200

Xah wrote:
On May 22, 8:25 am, Corey Foote <coreyfo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
«When an Emacs frame is split into several windows, is there a way to
change the background color (and perhaps other visual properties) of
one window without changing the others?»

I'm not aware a mode or default way to do it. But what you can do is
write a function that changes current window bg color, to the post-
command-hook.

(defun change-bg-color-on-split ()
  (let ((cmd this-command))
    (when (string-equal cmd "split-window-vertically")
      (set-background-color "#ffe4c4"))))

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'change-bg-color-on-split)

Unfortunately that does not change the bg color of the whole Emacs frame, not just the current Emacs window.

There has been a little bit talk about implementing background colors etc per buffer on Emacs devel, but so far no one has done anything to implement it as far as I know.

There is one workaround, I just added this to EmacsWiki

 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BufferBackgroundColor