Re: Adding a symbol help mode

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adding a symbol help mode
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 00:14:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 1, 3:04 pm, j...@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) wrote:
> "alexdul...@googlemail.com" <alexdul...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > Regarding info files, how do I add a symbol help mode?
>
> Use the function `info-lookup-maybe-add-help' defined in the `info-look'
> library.  It contains many stanzas initialising common modes that you
> can use as examples.

Thanks. The problem was, that the function didn't come up with I used
info-lookup-<tab> to view the list of functions. hehe.

However, the problem now, is that each of the symbols in the info file
needs to be referenced with a colon on the end. For example, to view
the node for 'set', 'set:' must be given. I'm using the following to
add tcl-mode help in my .emacs file:

(eval-after-load "info-look"
  '(info-lookup-add-help
    :mode 'tcl-mode
    :ignore-case t
    :doc-spec '(("(TclCmd)Top" nil nil nil))))

Each menu item in the info file is as such:

* Menu Item::          description

Any ideas why the extra colon is needed when referencing a node using
'info-lookup-symbol'? I've tried editing the menu items to have just
one colon, but then info doesn't recognize them as items...

thanks.