Re: kill-region defadvice

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: kill-region defadvice
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:51:02 -0600

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
Joe <joesmoe10@gmail.com> wrote:

Originally I did this by writing a new function that checked
if the mark was active. However, I think that using defadvice is a
better solution but I got stuck while trying to write it.
No, it's not!  By using advice, you modify the kill-region function and
risk that any command using it will backward-kill-word instead.
Just write the advice as

   (if (and (interactive-p) mark-active)
       ad-do-it
     (backward-kill-word 1))

Still not a good idea.
`interactive-p' will return nil when used in a keyboard macro.  That
will most likely cause unintended behavior at some point.

(if (and (or (interactive-p) executing-kbd-macro)
         mark-active)

Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA