Start emacs with font-lock on and other minor doubts

From: Zei Hoffmann
Subject: Start emacs with font-lock on and other minor doubts
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

I tried the following in custom.el:
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
and
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

and those two together and when I open a C source code it still do not
put font-lock minor mode on. I'm still learning emacs and I have zero
knowledge of Lisp. Why emacs is not putting font-lock on?

my custom.el file:

(custom-set-variables
 '(compilation-window-height 10)
 '(compile-command "c:\\mingw\\bin\\gcc  "))
(custom-set-faces)

(define-key global-map [f11] 'bookmark-jump)
(define-key global-map [f12] 'bookmark-set)

(define-key global-map [f9] 'compile)
(define-key global-map [f10] 'recompile)

(global-font-lock-mode 1)
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

Using XEmacs 24.4.21 in Windows XP.

How can I change the default behavior of identing lines in c-mode? The
default works like this
for (int i=0; i<10; i++) {
    a+=i; <<== if I press enter here I will go
here

and only when I type the ; the line will be idented.

what I wanted is:
for (int i=0; i<10; i++) {
    a+=i; <<== if I press enter here I will go
    here
And when I type ; nothing happens;

Also, I had to manually create UserNameFolder\.xemacs\ folder in order
for xemacs to save my custom.el. Is that normal? Isn't the
configuration file supose to be named .emacs.el and be in My Documents
folder?

Any good tutorials to recommend for me? I want to use emacs to program
C mostly and it's hard to find a newbie tutorial that is not just a
bunch of commands like C-x C-f to open file.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong mailing list, if I should had
posted on a specfic XEmacs mailing list or another one please give me
the url for those.