Re: TeX vs LaTeX

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: TeX vs LaTeX
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:10:23 +0200

Hi Joel,

>> I am trying to learn a bit more of TeX and LaTeX, and I am
>> wondering if it is possible to get the plain TeX primitives
>> highlighted differently (different color) than the LaTeX
>> ones?
>>
>> For example, seeing that `\em' is a TeX command, and that
>> `\textem' a LaTeX one helps differentiating the two layers,
>> and understanding more of its internals.
>
> Hmmm...AUCTeX does this for me already. Are you using AUCTeX?
> You should ;)

I am using AUCTeX (how could I do without it? ;-)), but it does
not (really) work for me, as you can check with:

\textem{example}  % `font-latex-sedate-face'
\em{example}      % `font-latex-italic-face' on `font-latex-sedate-face'

The only difference is the italic applied on the same face...

And I just read a message from Ralf:

    ,----[ http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.auctex.general/2006-01/msg00069.html ]

    | There is no distinction between LaTeX and non-LaTeX commands.
    | It's more like between commands AUCTeX knows and those it
    | doesn't know. But this distinction is not consequently followed.
    | There are quite a lot commands AUCTeX knows but which are
    | colored with `font-latex-sedate-face'.
    `----

In fact, it would find it nice, would the LaTeX keywords be
highlighted differently than the TeX ones, or as well from
unknown ones (would I import a ConTeXt document!)...

The same applies for the environments: it'd be nice if the
default ones (`document', for example) would be different than
my own (like `indentated-par').

Best regards,
  Seb

--