Set LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix

From: Florian . Lindner
Subject: Set LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:10:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I try to set this variable to another value which is easier to reach
on my keyboard.

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'reindent-then-newline-and-indent)
            (local-set-key (kbd "C-c SPC") 'LaTeX-math-mode)
            (setq LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix (kbd "#"))))

C-h v says it has the correct value but it does not work. It also
says:
"Setting this variable directly does not take effect; use M-x
customize."

However I would prefer not using customize. How can I set this
variable manually?

Thanks,

Florian