Re: Binding C-a to select all

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: Binding C-a to select all
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:33:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 25, 3:19 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> (define-key global-map [(control a)] 'mark-whole-buffer)

Thank you for your help but there is problem with the above code in
that it doesn't highlight the region in the face "region" or "primary-
selection".  Please advise me how I can go about getting this
functionality online.

> But I advise against it. C-a C-e M-a and M-e work together mnemonically
> if you think of a and e as Anfang and Ende (German beginning and end).
> Making the change you suggest disturbs this symmetry among related
> commands. Using Dvorak layout and Keytweak on w2000 I have needed to
> change only about half a dozen Emacs bindings (4 of them for single
> character cursor movement via keys close to home row and so as to avoid
> the arrow keys). This layout enables me to type ALL commands as easily
> as I can type a shifted number key.

You might barf but a long time ago I rebound keys like

C-f to find-file,
C-e to call-last-kbd-macro

and I have never looked back!  To me this seems sensible because a PC
keyboard already has cursor keys and home/end keys so I believe that
there is no need for the those standard Emacs keybindings.