Re: gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)

From: Markus Grunwald
Subject: Re: gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)
Date: 27 Jun 2008 14:23:01 GMT

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:18:11 +1200, Nick Roberts wrote:

> What does it say within the square brackets in the mode-line of the GUD
> buffer _before_ you type `C-c C-c'?  If it says "initializing..." then it
> might help to wait a bit longer until it says "ready" before typing the first
> command.

You are right: After loading the binary it says "initialising...". After 1
Minute 30 seconds (!) it turns to "ready" and I can work normally.

I tried again with "gdb --annotate=3" (= without binary as parameter) and
loaded the binary with
(gdb) file binary.bin
There was no "initialising..." message visible and I could start
immediately. What's the difference ?

> There are several factors that might make this slow:
>
> 1) An executable that was created from a large number of files.

gru@PT-AGCMLX1 >find . \( -name \*.cpp -o -name \*.h \) | wc -l
3072

Would this qualify as "large" ? ;)

> 2) Using stabs debug format.

Hmm, not sure. I just compiled with gcc-2.95 (yes, that old....) and "-g".
"info gcc" gives me the impression that this means stabs or gdb ...

> 3) Using an old PC.

gru@CMDevLin2 >cat /proc/cpuinfo
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
cpu MHz         : 2405.535
cache size      : 512 KB

Not that old...
CPU is at 20% while "initialising....".
/home is mounted via nfs but I can hardly see any network activity while
"initialising..."

> If this is the problem I can post a patch that might speed things up but
I would try this :)

> just turning off gud-tooltip-mode might help.

"gud-tooltip-mode is a variable defined in `gud.el'.
Its value is nil"

So it is turned off.

Many thanks for your help :) For the time beeing, I'll just load the
binary from within gdb. Everything seems to work and I don't have to wait
1:30 minutes. If my colleages see this, I will have to hear their laughter
till the end of days ;)

cu
--
Markus