Re: rename existing *shell* to *MYshell.txt. Now, how making "C-x s" SAV

From: Xah
Subject: Re: rename existing *shell* to *MYshell.txt. Now, how making "C-x s" SAVE it?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

David Combs wrote:
«So I have this existing *shell* that I've been working with,
Question: now, how to "bind" it to a disk file of the same name?
»

Barry Margolin
«
C-x C-w MYshell.txt RET

I don't know of a way to make it automatically update the file.  But
once you associate it with a file with C-x C-w, you can then use C-x C-
s to update the file manually.
»

adding to Barry Margolin's comments... you can use a timer that
performs a action periodically. So, say every 10 min, your shell will
be saved to disk.

for example, i have the following:

(run-with-timer 600 600 'desktop-save "~/")

which record opened files every 10 min. So in case of system crash, i
still know which files are left open in previous session (that i was
working on or still needs to work on)

to write your function to save would be pretty easy...
your function will just call save-buffer...
depending how robust or elaborate you want, you may need to check
whether you have that particularly named buffer... and what file you
want it to save to. etc
and if the buffer doesn't exist, kill the timer.

the basic functions you might need are:
(buffer-name)
(buffer-file-name)
(write-file ...) or (save-buffer)