Re: Can emacs be made to right Messages buffer to disc?

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Can emacs be made to right Messages buffer to disc?
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:56:36 -0500

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>> I asked this question when emacs 21 was current and if I recall there
>> was some horribly complicated (requiring coding and good knowledge of
>> elisp) way to do it.
>>
>> I wondered if with 22 or even 23 one can write the \*Messages\* buffer
>> to disc as a session progresses any easier than before?
>
> I vaguely remember that thread, but I couldn't find it on the web.  In
> any case, I think it's not too complicated (everything worth doing in
> Emacs requires a basic knowledge of Emacs Lisp):

[...] snipped the nice example... thanks.

Nice... thank you.  I have to beg to differ on one point and I'm sure
you meant no harm with it...

>. . . . . . . . . . . . .  (everything worth doing in
> Emacs requires a basic knowledge of Emacs Lisp):

Not so... I have only a vague knowledge of emacs lisp and have managed
to use emacs in useful ways every day (or nearly so) for at least 10
yrs.  Much to the chagrin of this list.. I imagine,ue to the
ill-informed questions I've often posed here.

I always think I'm going to take out the time to learn some elisp but
have just never done it.  Its not really due to laziness or at least
not only laziness either.  Seems something more immediate always comes
up.

Further I haven't found a nifty way into the learning part like I have
with perl or shell scripting where I've needed to learn a little of
each to admin my home machines and my videography (hobby/business).

In those cases, with a basic knowledge of shell scripting I've been
able to learn a fair bit of perl by seeing code and asking lots of
questions. ... not so with elisp.

The question part never fails on this list, but I've never been able
to look at the code and sort of start to see how it works.   Then sort
of ease right into useful coding.