Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Trouble getting archives to load as archives
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 12:59:09 +0200

"Davin Pearson" <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/7/4 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com>:
>> an other solution is to use avfs, with that you can open any archives on
>> read/write mode just as any directory in dired.
>> So just install avfs and set fuse in your kernel (and install fuse)
>> I use this code to use it in emacs:
>>
>> ,----[ avfs in dired ]
>> | (defun tv-dired-browse-archive ()
>> |   "This function use avfs and fuse, so be sure
>> | to have these programs and modules installed on your system"
>> |   (interactive)
>> |   (let ((file-at-point (dired-get-filename)))
>> |     (if (or (equal (file-name-extension file-at-point) "gz")
>> |             (equal (file-name-extension file-at-point) "bz2")
>> |             (equal (file-name-extension file-at-point) "zip"))
>> |         (progn
>> |           (when (not (cddr (directory-files "~/.avfs")))
>> |             (shell-command "mountavfs"))
>> |           (find-file (concat "~/.avfs" file-at-point "#")))
>> |       (find-file file-at-point))))
>> | (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "z") 'tv-dired-browse-archive)
>> `----
>
> Are you sure that it is worth the trouble installing AVS?
I am not sure to understand you.
With avfs you can browse any compressed
archives (like the emacs sources) just like if they were uncompressed

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

> Have you got AVS installed on your O/S?
Yes you must and you need fuse installed and also enabled in your
kernel.

> Are you using Linux or Windows XP? I am using XP.
I use Gentoo/Linux.
I don't know about XP.
--
A + Thierry Volpiatto