Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:52:09 -0400

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> On 2008-07-10 01:58:28 -0700, Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I wrote:
>>
>> «I think to have emacs work with today's web dev needs out of the box
>> is one of the most important need for emacs.
>> (see http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_of_elisp.html )
>> »
>>
>> oops, the url should've been:
>>
>> http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html
>>
>>  Xah
>
> I totally agree. I have not yet read your article (I will do it right
> now). My worry is that elisp is not good enough or maybe to hard for
> that kind of work, I hope I am wrong.

Too hard?

> Also I don't mind if support for web dev is not ready out of the box,
> I can deal with configuring it but I want it to be stable, featurefull
> and not look like it's from 1980.

My Emacs looks like it's from 1987, because I want it to, but I can also
make it look like whatever I want.  Stable?  Featureful?  Are we using
the same piece of software?  Emacs is commonly held up as an example of
too many features.

If what it looks like is really important to you, then you ARE using the
wrong software; or go get Aquamacs...

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson