Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:46:09 +1000

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> On 2008-07-10 12:47:11 -0700, adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) said:
>
>> Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been using emacs for the past 5 years or so and I've recently
>>> stumbled upon TextMate. I love the way TextMate handles *web modes*
>>> like integration of html + javascript + css in the same file and
>>> I've always had a problem doing that in emacs.
>>>
>>> I wonder what's the problem, why has an editor like TextMate gone so
>>> far in just a few years and Emacs is still not there yet.
>>
>> Still not where?  Still not the best text editor, no wait, the best
>> piece of software ever created?
>>
>> Oh wait, nevermind...
>>
>> You probably just haven't tried the right add-ons yet, or written them
>> yourself ;)  You have the freedom to do both.
>> Joel
>
> Dude, are you high or sumthin ? I know what Emacs is and that you can write
> your own OS from scratch if you want. You seem to be missing the point
> though.

The most likely reason textmate has what you want and emacs apparently
doesn't is that nobody in the emacs community has stepped up to write
what you want. Maybe the textmate community has more people willing to
step up and add what they see as missing while the emacs community has
members who would rather sit around philosophising.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au