cursor/tab/highlighting problems in gnome-terminal

From: Dan Davison
Subject: cursor/tab/highlighting problems in gnome-terminal
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:46:02 +0100

I'm using emacs22 in a gnome-terminal under ubuntu hardy. My problem
is that I'm experiencing strange and apparently unpredictable cursor
problems. This doesn't occur with emacs22-gtk under X, and doesn't
occur in an xterm. One thing is that sometimes a 'ghost' cursor will
get left behind the real cursor. It goes away if you run the real
cursor over it, but that's annoying. Another problem is that sometimes
all the space representing a tab will get highlighted (at least in
emacs-lisp mode). It seems like it may all be related to tabs. For
example, I'm in Fundamental mode now, as I type I'm sometimes getting
a ghost cursor left behind. In fact it just happened. Now if I select
the guilty text and do

~> cat -A
## paste in selected text
## <ctrl>-d
getting     a ghost curso
getting^Ia ghost^Icurso$

So where have those tab characters come from?

Thanks,

Dan

p.s. Very sorry if multiple copies of this post arrive; having problems.