Re: possible to exchange server and client?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: possible to exchange server and client?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:58:58 +0200

Am 14.07.2008 um 14:47 schrieb anhnmncb:

What I do is, run emacs in console, then M-x server-start.
Startx, run emacsclient -c, then M-x server-start, it says:
        The current server still has clients; delete them? (y or n)
I answser y, then the frame is killed. But I don't want to kill this
frame, I want server-start from it, so it becomes a server.

Here you see that all Emacs particles launched until now belong to one instance of GNU Emacs, that has something like "visible threads," i.e., kind of rather independent "light-weight" processes that become visible on the GUI/X11 surface. Every frame, window, console thing has the same process ID, all can share the same buffers (write a very unique word into *scratch* buffer and select this buffer in console and all frames), and all are connected to one server! So a

        (server-start)

in your init file is OK. And it's really OK, because when you launch another Emacs, it will start its own and now on the system second server, giving you the option to let emacsclient (-f, --server- file=FILENAME or -s, --socket-name=FILENAME) work for this or for that server.

One problem exists: there does not seem to exist a way to select from emacsclient the frame in which a file is opened ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                                – Blaise Pascal