Re: How to do this moving in emacs?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: How to do this moving in emacs?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:50:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 4:42 pm, anhnmncb <anhnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1)
> M-f/b is for forward/backward words which is separated by non-charactor.
> Say, -->|-->|--->|--->|
>      foo-bar foo2-bar2
>     |<--|<--|<---|<---
>
> How can I make a function to move forward/backward words which are
> separated by space?
> Say, ------>|-------->|
>      foo-bar foo2-bar2
>     |<------|<--------
>
> 2)
> M-f is to forward to a word's ending, M-b is to beginning. Now I want to
> bind M-F to forward to a word's beginning, M-B is for ending, how to
> achieve it?
> Say, ---->|
>      foo   bar
>         |<----

What you want to do can be trivially done in elisp, just 3 lines
about. You may or may not want to do it though, if you perhaps already
understood emacs's sense...

the semantic meaning of “word” in forward-word, replies on current
mode's syntax table. Pratically, that means where forward-word put
your cursor to, varies depending on the current mode.

In almost all modes, a hyphen is a boundary of word. That's why
forward-word stops on the hyphen. Words with hyphen are known in emacs
as “symbol” for historical reasons (i.e. due to how lisp's keyword can
include the hyphen char, and such entity in lisp are called symbols)

But anyway, in short, to do what you want in (1), use this code:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-f") 'forward-symbol)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-b") 'backward-symbol)

To do your question (2), it's more trivial. Just call (forward-word)
twice followed by a (backward-word). e.g.

(defun my-forward-word ()
  "move cursor to beginning of next word"
  (interactive)
  (forward-word 2)
  (backward-word)
)

(code untested.)

For some simple useful elisp example, please see:
 http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_examples.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/