Re: How can I make my caps lock key act like a control key?

From: Csányi Pál
Subject: Re: How can I make my caps lock key act like a control key?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:40:21 +0200

emacs615 <benjaminbondtate@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am having trouble mapping my caps lock key to control key in my linux
> shell(NOT X). I want both the control and caps lock keys to act like control
> keys.  I've tried using loadkeys and I'm not getting errors, but I can't get
> it to work.  I've used dumpkeys to get a keymap, edited the map to where
> both the caps lock and control keys have the same key code (58 i think).  I
> then load this map with loadkeys and there are no errors but nothing
> happens.  I tried opening a new shell just in case and still no changes have
> occurred.

Copy your kmap (my is hu.kmap.gz) to a file, say .my_console_keymap:

cp /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/hu.kmap.gz ~/.my_console_keymap

edit this file:

mcedit ~/.my_console_keymap

keycode 58 = Control
control keycode 58 = Control

Caps Lock came the Control key.

keycode 29 = Last_Console

The Left Control came the Last Console.

Last Console switch to the last visited console.

At console Login this load my console keymap:

mcedit ~/.bash_profile

sudo loadkeys ~/.my_console_keymap

I hope this helps!

--