Checking if cursor is inside a comment

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Checking if cursor is inside a comment
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:10:38 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a general or mode-specific (c-mode for my application) way of
checking whether the cursor is currently placed inside a comment or
not? What is the most clever way of doing this? Should I use looking-
at(), use or perhaps extend thing-at-point(), or use search-forward/
backward() or is there some other state or function that should be
used for this specific case. I believe c-mode has some variables and
functions for accessing the result of its parsing, for example c-
syntactic-information-on-region().

My main reason for asking is that I have a lot of clever code helpers
especially for c-mode that I don't want to be enable inside comments.

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw